Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Love Mary Jane Shoes

Mary Jane (shoe)

Mary Jane is an American term (formerly trademarked) for a kind of strap shoe or sandal that typically has low heels, broad and rounded closed toes, and a single-buckle strap across the instep and/or around the ankle. They are traditionally made of black patent leather, although some current incarnations can be in a wide array of colors and leathers.


Traditionally Mary Janes are a variety of shoe worn mainly by young girls. In modern times they are worn by women of all ages. Mary Janes are typically considered formal for girls and informal when worn by women.





Contents

  • 1 Etymology
  • 2 Current style
  • 3 In popular culture

 Etymology

Mary Jane was a character created by Richard Outcault for his comic strip, Buster Brown, which was first published in 1902.

She was the sister of the title character, Buster Brown.
In 1904, Outcault traveled to the St. Louis World's Fair and sold licenses to up to 200 companies to use the Buster Brown characters to advertise their products. Among them was the Brown Shoe Company, who later hired actors to tour the country, performing as the Buster Brown characters in theaters and stores. This strategy helped the Brown Shoe Company become the most prominently associated brand with the Buster Brown characters. The style of shoe both Buster Brown and Mary Jane wore came to be known by her name, Mary Jane.

 Current style

While the classic Mary Jane still retains its wide popularity and appeal, today's more stylish Mary Janes tend to be platform styles, with half-inch to one-inch soles and three- to five-inch "chunky heels", often with exaggerated grommets or buckles.


 These styles were especially popular in the United States in the late 1990s and early 2000s, within punk rock, psychobilly, and goth subcultures.




Many times the wearers would accent the look with knee-high knit socks in dark-colored stripes or patterns and/or some form of hosiery (stockings/pantyhose), and often complete the look with a plaid, pleated schoolgirl-style skirt.

Mary Janes are a popular part of kinderwhore and Lolita fashion.



A pump with a strap across the instep may be referred to as a "Mary Jane pump", although it does not have the low heels or wide toe of the original Mary Jane (and a pump is generally strapless by definition).

In popular culture

In the Saw horror-film series, Billy the Puppet wears a pair of red Mary Janes.

 The fictional character Alice, from the books Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, wears a pair of black Mary Janes in John Tenniel's illustrations;


Alice also wears Black Mary Janes in the 1951 Walt Disney's Alice in Wonderland.


Stacy Ferguson AKA Fergie has an ode to these soles on her debut solo album, The Dutchess.


Velma Dinkley in the Scooby-Doo animated series usually wears a pair of Mary Janes, as well as Eleanor of the Chipettes.

Mary Jane's Shoes

Fergie

Stacy Ferguson
When i wear - my Mary Jane´s shoes
I can escape - from a blues
The whole world seems a little bit brighter, brighter
My heavy steps get a little bit lighter, lighter
Wooh my mary jane´s (4x)
When i wear - my Mary Jane´s shoes
Just like a child - under bruise
My heart and my soul - they feel like i´m seven
But from my head to my toels
It´s like i´m in heaven, heaven
Wooh my Mary Jane´s (4x)
When i wear Mary Jane´s shoes
I enjoy to spin - the ones and toes
Music has another dimension
And i can dance with a diferent perception
Wooh my Mary Jane´s (4x)
when I step into my shoes, make a lady wanna, hay
feeling high, feeling low caught up in a purple, hay
everything is beautiful mother f***** feeling great
when I step in to my shoes, make a lady wanna go crazy,
wanna go crazy, wanna go crazy, wanna go crazy, oh now
wooh my mary janes, wooh my mary janes, wooh my mary janes,
wooh my mary janes, wooh my mary janes

No comments:

Post a Comment