Monday, February 16, 2009

Fashion Week for Fall 2009

I am loving some collections this year and hating others...

Here are some of my favorites - all pictures should be credited to Marcio Madeira for Style.com, because I love their site as they have the best layout/slideshows to go through the fashions rather quickly.


This gorgeous green number is from Donna Karen/DKNY, and I would like to point out a number of details -
*green color -jewel tones are sticking around
*tights are black and seem to be opaque so they are sticking around for another winter
*the shoes, while I dislike the style, animal print is here again for Fall
*big shiny bag = always going to be in style
*dark, gothic-colored but short-in-length, nails - still an it thing!


This soft blue is by Reem Acra, and I am just infatuated with the color and texture. I love everything about this for an evening gala look.
Repeats I am seeing:
*big necklaces. while not big shiny stones, big ...more earthy elemental stones in matte shades are included
*grecian-style length and necklines
*soft hairstyles


Hervé Léger by Max Azria had another season's worth of interesting styles... but nothing that really had me say wow. I could only find one look that made me happy, while the rest just had me feeling as though we had left a funeral. This one dress, which is classic in Herve Leger standards only made me happy because of it's color and it's texture. I liked the shade used on the dress, and it made me see Fall with the delicate usage of velvet. Cheers, but I hope for better nextime... especially when it comes to the shoes. What the heck was the house thinking with those ridiculous Star Trek esque numbers?!



Diane von Furstenberg
had a fun collection. Of course, it is DVF so how could the collection not be fun? However, she shunned other collections and went with a non-somber theme, she wasn't going to let a recession make her clothes look bad. So, the Nomad collection was born! My favorite from her collection was a simple look. Bare legs, long cardigan sweater, and an American-Indian inspired dress. And the hat. Cannot ignore the hats. Thank goodness I have one of my own... although mine isn't as trapper-esque as this one was...

Lastly, we have Lacoste. A prep classic and a favorite of mine when it comes to their Ready-to-Wear items. This season, that title, Ready to Wear, really shone on the runway yesterday. Obviously going for that haute look, items can clearly be plucked from a model and put on an average jane. Whether it's a jacket, sweater, short, cropped pant, pantsuit, skirt, or cardigan... it was evident the collection was going for transition-friendly, which also = buyer-friendly in this economy. I chose two looks...


The first one is a mid-late 1970s look. Very Annie Hall-esque. The color family here is really flattering on the model, and the clothes fit great. This is so prep-friendly I cannot wait to check it out. The tie-front shirt, the suit jacket, the cardigan, skinny belt, and cropped pants all also can say late 1980s, early 1990s. This collection will definitely encourage women to raid their Mom's closets if not their own (age-depending). It would be a perfect late summer to Fall transition outfit.

This second look is more evening or late Fall to me. The shades just say "chance of snow" or "post-work cocktails on me". Again, channelling a classic prep style was obviously inspiration here. I will again say Annie Hall. Mostly because it is menswear with a female cut in mind. I am not positive but those shoes seem suede, and I really could see a true prep stick her Wallabees into an outfit like this and it looking fantastic. Another silk blouse with tie here, and a heavier winter-weight, late Fall jacket was used on top. A classic staple of a navy peacoat would likely work fantastic here as well. The pants seem to be classic professional wool pants... but I bet if you wanted a more relaxed prep-weekend look you could do a corduroy with no problem. A softer shade of deep lavendar was used in the belt, and it almost seems like it is of the texture of the blouse itself, a heavy silk. I could see a scarf used to add in more colors as well, maybe gold jewelry here for a glint of class - although that may make it too Ralph Lauren for some of you, that is the look I would do...

No comments:

Post a Comment