Monday, January 24, 2011

Brands



Do you have a go-to inexpensive brand?

How did you discover this brand?

Relatively-speaking, is your go-to brand inexpensive to the person next to you?

I often think about how I could save money if I bought less-expensive things, however, I cannot count on two hands the number of times a friend has gone to hell and back for buying something at Forever 21 or Urban Outfitters and it literally fell apart after three wear-and-washes.

For me, my go-to inexpensive brands are pretty classic, and I hope most of you agree that their sales are really fantastic when it comes to stocking up on basics:









When I have a fashion emergency, these three stores: GAP, Talbots and J.Crew, are the ones I rush into to remedy my problem. What do I go to these stores for, you may ask? I go to each for very specific things, and if I have any luck maybe I can find something unexpected there as well.

At GAP, I find myself picking out everyday basics - tanks & t-shirts for layering, a basic pair of jeans that don't necessarily need to fit well but work if I left town without a pair and accessories. The tanks & t-shirts there have a good thickness and are great when in-between seasons. I normally go for fun, classic colors by Jockey that I get at my local Belk - but GAP is often the next best thing and occasionally cheaper or easier to get to.

At Talbots, I find myself picking out that last-minute emergency dress, the skirt for a job interview because mine had something spilled on it (and I don't have time to wash out the one I am wearing) or a simple jacket for a date when I hadn't planned on a date (or hadn't planned on the temperature dropping).

At J.Crew, I pick out a quick cardigan, a dress or hair accessories. I normally am able to use my student discount (don't get rid of your ID cards for a reason, ladies!!) and get an extra 15% off of what is already on sale. I don't think I have ever bought ballet flats from J.Crew at full price, ever, because for the same amount I could get a higher-tier brand new at Nordies. Just something I learned from shopping and working in retail over the years.

So ladies, where do you get your basics at? Do you have a go-to emergency store you stop in when you need a quick outfit alteration?

No comments:

Post a Comment